Numerous people in positions of authority, particularly clergy members of institutions, have been accused of sexual abuse on a huge scale. The best course of action is to get legal assistance if you want to use legal means to hold both your abuser and the church directly accountable.
The best legal alternatives for clerical abuse can be discussed with a clergy sex abuse attorney for Wyoming, MI, survivors. Even though the legal process of pursuing a case against the abuser may be upsetting or difficult on your own, with the proper clergy abuse lawyer by your side, you’ll feel ready and supported at every step of the civil lawsuit procedure.
You have the right to pursue restitution as a victim for the harm that the abuse you experienced caused. Having legal representation increases your chances of recovering compensation and holding the person responsible for your injuries accountable. Find out more about how to file a lawsuit to obtain justice for clerical abuse.
Common Examples of Clergy Sex Abuse
Sexual abuse by a clergy member can take on various forms, such as:
- Sexual contact that consists of sexual jokes, coercion, or touching that is done manipulatively
- Grooming through extra attention, bribes, or twisting spiritual messages to sexually exploit the child
- Sexually exploiting a victim to perform sexual acts on or for the clergy member or subject the victim to watch pornography
- Sexual abuse in which a child who is unable to give consent is involved in sexual activity with a clergy member
Common examples consist of leaders using their authority to sexually harass members, a priest engaging in sexual activity without consent or through manipulation, or a religious figure coercing a victim to perform sexual acts. If a religious leader uses their power dynamics to force a non-consenting sexual act to occur, victims have the right to pursue charges or compensatory damages.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
You Deserve Discreet Legal Representation
Our sex abuse attorneys offer discreet counsel by maintaining your privacy and confidentiality throughout the legal procedure. We take precautions to preserve your anonymity, as we are aware that sexual abuse survivors are usually reluctant to come forward for fear of revenge or public exposure.
Our Wyoming, MI, clerical sex abuse lawyers can offer covert representation in the following ways:
- Attorney-client privilege and strong confidentiality laws: We are not allowed to share any information about you or your case without your permission. We take pride in the fact that our partnership with you is a secure and safe space to help you move forward.
- Limited disclosure: Our firm can submit the required legal paperwork without revealing your identity or personal details if you wish to sue or seek criminal proceedings.
- Private consultations: To examine the specifics of your case, our clergy abuse attorneys can arrange to meet with you in a private setting that feels safest to you. Our goal is to make you comfortable at all times so that you can be transparent and get the damages you deserve.
- Compassion: This firm has handled many sexual abuse cases and is well-versed in how discussing your story can cause you to relive the trauma. You will be treated with consideration and respect and offered a secure and encouraging environment so that you can feel at ease.
Don’t settle for just any sex abuse lawyer in Wyoming. After researching the track record of the law firm, the accolades of the attorneys representing you, and their client testimonials, you chose the best Wyoming, MI, clergy sexual abuse attorney that is right for you.
We know how to get our clients the results they need in the toughest legal arenas.
Calculating Your Clergy Abuse Settlement
The severity of the abuse, the age of the victim, and how much the victim’s life has been impacted are all factors that go into calculating the amount of an abuse settlement. The following are elements that are generally awarded:
- Economic damages: This includes the costs of medical testing, treatment, and equipment needed as a result of the abuse. This can also include lost wages and missed earning potential in the future if the survivor is unable to work.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic losses include pain and suffering, emotional and mental distress, and loss of enjoyment of life that the survivor incurred as a result of the abuse.
- Exemplary damages: In some circumstances, exemplary damages may be granted to survivors if the act was egregious but are different from punitive damages that punish the abuser or the institution, as punitive damages are not permissible in Michigan.
- Institutional culpability: The amount of the settlement may also be influenced by the institution’s liability. A higher settlement sum could be awarded if the institution has not taken adequate measures to safeguard the victim or address abuse reports.
We understand that you may be going through a difficult situation and we are ready to help however we can.
Legal Steps of Establishing Fault in a Clergy Sex Abuse Case
Establishing fault in any abuse case can be a complex process that requires the expertise of medical specialists, forensic experts, psychologists, and more. Our law firm handles the investigative process for you so that you can focus on attending therapy or other support groups to help you move forward after abuse. The following elements aid us in finding the at-fault party:
- Medical records
- Witness testimonies
- Video or photographic evidence
- Background checks
- Institutional rules
- Lost wages
- Psychological evaluations
A thorough understanding of patterns in discovery and injury law is needed to assist in the development of fault. The sooner that you contact a Wyoming, MI, clergy sex abuse lawyer for assistance, the better the chance of preserving evidence.
You will always work directly with your attorney throughout your case.
Get in Touch With Compassionate Clergy Abuse Lawyers Today
White Law PLLC is well known around Michigan for representing survivors of sexual abuse by clergy, pastors, and other religious figures. The lead attorney at the firm has represented victims in nationally recognized cases, including those involving the Boy Scouts of America.
Our clergy sex abuse lawyers in Wyoming, MI, and the surrounding areas, have won large settlements for our clients in single-victim and multi-victim cases, and we have the knowledge and means to take on formidable institutions that failed to safeguard children and victims.
When you are ready to tell your story and seek justice, contact our compassionate clergy abuse lawyers for a free consultation.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.