Seemingly insignificant business disputes can easily evolve into expensive, resource-draining issues. If you’re dealing with a contract disagreement or legal issue in your personal or professional life, involving a Grand Rapids civil litigation attorney can ensure that the situation goes smoothly.
The team at White Law PLLC has a great deal of experience resolving disputes, drafting formal complaints, and filing appeals. No matter how major or minor your civil litigation issue is, our team has the expertise you need to bring it to a favorable resolution.
How a Civil Litigation Lawyer from Grand Rapids Can Help You
A civil litigation attorney can perform a number of services to help you resolve business issues, settle disputes, and get the compensation you’re owed. Here’s what a lawyer from our team in Grand Rapids, MI, can do for you:
Investigate Your Case
In order to deliver a positive result, your attorney must gain an in-depth understanding of your case and collect information related to it. They’ll analyze witness testimony, reports, and other relevant documents to find the necessary evidence.
File a Complaint
Depending on your situation, your Grand Rapids civil litigation lawyer may have to file a plea or court motion. If that’s the case, they’ll make sure your complaint is drafted correctly and submitted to the appropriate court.
Negotiate a Settlement
To avoid a lengthy legal battle, your lawyer may try to settle your case out of court. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators, so they’ll likely be able to reach a fair settlement offer through mediation or arbitration.
Represent You in Court
If negotiations are unsuccessful, a civil litigation attorney from Grand Rapids can advocate on your behalf in the courtroom. Your lawyer will make a clear argument for your compensation and present compelling evidence that supports your claim.
Handle the Appeals Process
Unfortunately, legitimate claimants are sometimes denied the compensation they deserve. If your court case is unsuccessful, your lawyer can challenge the court’s ruling by filing an appeal. Appealing a court decision may sound nerve-wracking, but your lawyer will be by your side to guide you through the appeals process.
Grand Rapids Civil Litigation Lawyer Near Me (517) 316-1195
Types of Civil Litigation Cases We Can Take on
Whenever business associates or personal acquaintances interact, there’s a chance that some sort of dispute or legal issue will arise. Since civil litigation cases can result from almost any area of life, it’s important to find an attorney with experience helping clients resolve similar problems.
The civil litigation lawyers from our Grand Rapids team have worked on a wide variety of cases, including those related :
- Business: Our attorneys can help you take action in the event of a contractual dispute, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret disclosure, shareholder dispute, non-compete agreement issue, and nearly any other problem that may arise in your business dealings.
- Real estate: Contract breaches, boundary disputes, and undisclosed property defects can make buying, selling, and owning real estate a nightmare. Fortunately, our civil litigation team is here to help.
- Employment: Workplace harassment, discrimination, and wrongful termination is unlawful and should be met with legal action. If you’re experiencing unfair treatment at your job, White Law PLLC is on your side.
- Personal injury: If you’ve been injured in an incident caused by another party’s careless or unlawful actions, you deserve to pursue compensation via a personal injury claim. Our attorneys can help you investigate the accident, build a strong claim, and negotiate a settlement that covers your injury-related losses.
- Product liability: Unsafe product designs, poor safety testing, and improper manufacturing practices can lead to serious product injuries. If you’ve suffered an injury due to an appliance malfunction, we can help you take legal action.
- Insurance claims: If you’re dealing with a stubborn insurance company that won’t pay you the damages you’re owed, our team can negotiate with them and present a convincing argument as to why you must be compensated.
- Landlord and tenant disputes: Landlords and tenants both have rights that must be upheld to ensure that both parties’ interests are protected. If you’re dealing with a tenant that won’t pay rent or a landlord who has wrongfully evicted you, our Grand Rapids civil litigation lawyers can help you.
- Wrongful death: If you’ve lost someone dear to you in an accident caused by another person or entity’s actions, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. Our attorneys can guide you through the claims process and fight for the damages you need to grieve comfortably.
For a free legal consultation with a civil litigation lawyer serving Grand Rapids, call (517) 316-1195
Filing Deadline for Civil Litigation Cases in Grand Rapids, MI
Depending on the type of civil litigation case you’re pursuing, you may need to comply with Michigan’s statute of limitations. A statute of limitation is essentially the time frame you have to file a claim. In general, each type of civil litigation case has a different filing deadline.
For example, if you need to file a claim for collection of rent, Michigan Legislature § 600.5813 gives you six years to take legal action against your tenant. If you’ve suffered injury or property damage due to the actions of another person, Michigan Legislature §600.5805(8) states that you have two years from the date of the incident to file a civil suit.
Figuring out how long you have to file your civil litigation claim can be tricky without the help of a knowledgeable attorney. Fortunately, our civil litigation lawyers are familiar with all of the statutes that may apply to your case in Grand Rapids, MI.
Don’t Wait to Settle Your Dispute
Waiting to hire a lawyer could put you or your company at a significant disadvantage. Speaking to an attorney today will allow them to investigate your case while the evidence is still intact and help them meet any deadlines that apply to your claim.
Contact the team at White Law PLLC to get an early start on your case. If we agree to help you, a Grand Rapids civil litigation attorney from our firm will begin collecting evidence and drafting important documents as soon as possible.