Michigan takes drug offenses very seriously, so if you face charges, seek immediate legal counsel. A drug possession attorney in Okemos, MI, will help you navigate the legal process and build a strong defense on your behalf.
At White Law PLLC, we believe that knowledge is power, so we are eager to share our legal knowledge with all our clients. By helping you to understand the legal repercussions of your alleged offense, we empower you to make important decisions in your case. Call us today to discuss your case with an Okemos criminal defense lawyer.
How a Drug Possession Lawyer in Okemos, MI, Can Help
At our law firm, we understand that you need a strong legal defense to protect your future. We will investigate the alleged offense you were charged with and review your available legal options. Your lawyer will always represent your best interests throughout the case.
Prosecutors are responsible for presenting the evidence against you and seeking a conviction. However, an experienced defense attorney will skillfully challenge the prosecution’s case, ensuring your rights are protected, and you receive fair treatment throughout the legal process.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
What Qualifies as Drug Possession Under Michigan Law?
Michigan has a series of regulations governing the manufacturing, possession, and distribution of controlled substances. Depending on the details of your case, your charges may fall under a misdemeanor or felony. Misdemeanor charges generally involve less serious violations, while felony charges refer to more severe criminal conduct.
While Michigan law addresses a wide range of drug offenses, possession is one of the most common types of cases. Intentionally or knowingly possessing restricted substances is a punishable offense in Michigan. The types and quantity of drugs involved in the offense will determine the severity of the penalties.
An experienced Okemos drug charge attorney can thoroughly assess the details of your case. By explaining the potential implications, your attorney helps you understand the legal consequences, empowering you to make informed decisions about your defense strategy.
We’re not just lawyers. We’re passionate advocates who will ensure that your voice is heard and your rights are protected.
Penalties You May Face for Drug Possession in Okemos
Drug possession in Okemos, Michigan, can lead to various penalties based on the specific circumstances of the case. The severity of the penalties depends on factors such as the type and quantity of the controlled substance involved, intent, and prior criminal history.
Possession of a small number of controlled substances for personal use may result in misdemeanor charges, which can carry penalties such as fines or a short-term jail sentence. However, if the quantity of drugs exceeds certain thresholds or there is evidence of intent to distribute, the charge can be elevated to a felony.
The penalties for possessing the following types of drugs are:
- Methamphetamine: In Michigan, possessing any amount of methamphetamine is considered a criminal offense. Penalties include fines up to $15,000 and a maximum of a 10-year prison sentence. Since distributing meth is considered a felony, the intent to distribute is punishable with a fine of $25,000, a prison sentence of up to 20 years, or both.
- Adderall: This is a category II prescription medicine, so you need a prescription to buy it legally. Adderall possession without a valid prescription could lead to a $2,000 fine and a maximum of two years in prison.
- Prescription drugs: The penalty for the illegal possession of prescription drugs depends on the type of substance and the amount. For example, possessing 25 grams of a Schedule I or II substance carries a maximum fine of $25,000 and a prison sentence of up to four years.
A drug possession lawyer in Okemos, MI, can help get your charges reduced or dropped. By identifying inconsistencies in the prosecution’s case, they can challenge the credibility of the evidence presented against you.
This can weaken the prosecution’s position and create leverage for negotiations. An attorney can negotiate on your behalf to reduce charges to a lesser offense or dismiss them completely.
We know how to get our clients the results they need in the toughest legal arenas.
Why Work With White Law PLLC on Your Drug Possession Case?
As a closely managed law firm, we take pride in our ability to devote our full attention to each case we handle. We understand the importance of personalized legal representation and its impact on the outcome of your case.
By intentionally managing our caseload, we devote the time and resources to analyze the details of each case. This allows us to provide comprehensive legal services tailored to the specific needs of our clients.
At our law firm, we offer a full range of legal services:
- You can schedule a free case review with one of our Okemos drug possession lawyers.
- We have over 60 years of combined legal experience advocating for our clients’ rights.
- As a tech-friendly firm, we upload all the data into the cloud for added security.
- We are known for our assertive advocacy on behalf of our clients.
- Our lawyers are skilled at negotiating favorable outcomes through strategic plea bargaining.
- We have a strong track record of successful results in handling criminal defense cases.
We understand that this might be a confusing period for you, but we can help you understand the laws that apply to your case. You will have all the legal information you need to protect your future.
You will always work directly with your attorney throughout your case.
Call Our Okemos Drug Possession Attorneys Today
At White Law PLLC, we believe in nurturing strong communication with our clients. We understand that clear and consistent communication is vital for building trust, understanding your needs, and providing the highest level of legal representation. From the moment you engage our services, we strive to establish a collaborative and transparent relationship.
We value your input and perspective, recognizing that you play an essential role in decision-making regarding your case. Our lawyers will keep you informed of the progress of your case, provide updates on any developments, and promptly respond to your inquiries.
Our law firm is dedicated to providing personalized attention as we work together to navigate your drug possession case. Contact us to discuss your legal options with an experienced Okemos drug possession lawyer.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.