Are you facing a weapons charge in Detroit, MI? While the Second Amendment provides Americans with the right to bear arms, Michigan has its own laws regarding the possession and ownership of firearms and other weapons. Penalties for weapon offenses include jail time, fines, and severe penalties.
Fortunately, you do not have to try to build your own defense after an arrest. Instead, if you need a Detroit weapons charge lawyer, White Law, PLLC, could work to get the charges against you dismissed or reduced. Find out how we can help with your case by contacting us for a free consultation.
When Should You Contact a Lawyer About Your Detroit Weapons Charge?
It’s generally best to contact an experienced Detroit criminal defense lawyer immediately after an arrest. Waiting too long puts you in a dangerous position where you’re dealing with police officers and prosecutors alone.
These parties can convince you to say something to incriminate yourself or admit to a crime you did not commit.
Exercise your Sixth Amendment rights and request an attorney after your arrest. Your lawyer can protect you during interviews while monitoring the investigation to ensure your rights are protected.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
Why Choose Our Law Firm After a Weapons Arrest in Michigan?
A weapons offense conviction in Michigan can lead to jail time, fines, and the loss of your right to own firearms. Our team understands the seriousness of these consequences and is here to ensure you are treated fairly.
If we accept your case, you will benefit from our decades of combined legal experience. Additionally, our trial lawyers rank among the top 100 in the state, so you can feel confident about us handling your defense.
We support our clients with state-of-the-art technology. We use these tools to communicate closely with you as we handle your case.
As seasoned trial lawyers, our Detroit team is well-equipped to take your case all the way to trial to protect your future. You can count on our defense lawyers to handle misdemeanor or felony charges.
We’re not just lawyers. We’re passionate advocates who will ensure that your voice is heard and your rights are protected.
Examples of Michigan Firearms Cases We Handle
Our Detroit team has helped clients with charges, including the following:
- Carrying a concealed weapon (Michigan Compiled Laws § 750.227)
- Armed robbery (Michigan Compiled Laws § 750.89)
- Assault with a deadly weapon (Michigan Compiled Laws § 750.82)
- Altering a firearm’s identification marks (Michigan Compiled Laws § 750.230)
We take all criminal charges seriously, providing you with individualized legal care based on the allegations you face. Learn more during a free consultation.
We know how to get our clients the results they need in the toughest legal arenas.
Penalties You May Face After a Detroit Weapons Offense
Michigan statutes regulate the possession, manufacture, sale, and use of firearms in the state. These various gun laws can be complicated to understand. Though most U.S. residents have the right to keep and bear arms, the state limits those rights.
Common weapons charges in the Detroit area include:
- Carrying a concealed weapon. Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, whether in your car or on your person, is a felony in Michigan.
- Illegal possession of a firearm. Possessing specific types of weapons, ammunition, or firearm modifications is a felony in Michigan.
- Possessing a firearm as a felon. Those with previous felony convictions cannot own or possess a firearm without meeting the conditions to restore their rights.
Being convicted of a gun charge in Detroit can have serious consequences, including the following:
- Prison time
- Hefty fines and court costs
- Loss of firearms
- Permanent criminal record
- Suspension of various professional licenses
- Changes to your immigration status (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
You will always work directly with your attorney throughout your case.
How a Detroit Defense Attorney Can Help You
A Detroit weapon charges attorney provides responsive legal care customized to your needs. We have a proven track record of success, and our clients are our top priority.
Depending on your case’s circumstances, your lawyer may:
- Represent you during interviews with police officers and prosecutors.
- Perform our own investigation into the incident and your charges.
- Handle your arraignment and any bail hearings when applicable.
- Manage your pre-trial motions and hearings.
- Prepare your case for trial if needed.
- Fight for a favorable outcome in your case.
You must enter a plea at your arraignment hearing. Generally, attorneys recommend you enter a plea of not guilty, as pleading no contest or guilty will end your case.
You may also have a bail hearing and have to pay bail to avoid jail time before your trial. We can work to lower your bail amount.
Why Choose White Law PLLC for Your Wayne County Case?
When facing a weapons charge, you need a qualified lawyer with experience in similar cases. Our law firm is here to help.
Reasons to choose our Detroit team include the following:
- Our firm has more than six decades of combined experience that we will use to defend you in the courtroom.
- We take time to get to know you personally so we can tailor our defense to meet your needs.
- Our team pushes for a dismissal when possible to minimize the effects on your future.
- We provide free case evaluations for weapons cases, so there’s no risk in contacting us.
Our Weapon Charges Lawyers in Detroit, MI, Can Help
Facing a criminal charge alone is a bad idea. The penalties are too severe to rely on a busy public defender. At White Law PLLC, we have the resources and expertise to analyze the evidence the prosecution is using against you. We will conduct an investigation with the goal of getting the charges against you dismissed or reduced.
When you need a weapons charges attorney in Detroit, MI, we are here to help. Don’t face the criminal justice system alone. Contact us for a free consultation by filling out the contact form or calling us today.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.