When you get into a vehicle with a rideshare driver, you trust that the person behind the wheel will get you to where you need to go safely and without risk to your well-being. Sometimes, that does not happen, and you may be involved in a car accident. Can you sue Lyft if your driver is in an accident, though, with the help of a Detroit Lyft accident lawyer?
When Is Lyft Responsible for a Car Accident Caused by a Driver?
There are times when Lyft may be responsible for the accident you suffered injuries in due to their driver. However, to fully understand when this may apply, you have to consider the legal relationship Lyft has with its drivers and how that impacts your rights. Lyft uses independent contractors to handle these rides.
Keep in mind that Lyft typically does some level of checking into the person that they are providing this relationship with, including having a formal application process and looking at the driver’s insurance records and driving history overall. However, they do not perform criminal background checks, and sometimes, a formal interview is not completed either, which means there could be some high-risk drivers on the road. That puts you at risk.
When is Lyft responsible, then, for the losses their drivers cause? Typically, there are few situations when you can actually file a claim against Lyft for these actions. However, even if the driver is not covered by Lyft for any reason, they should have their own liability insurance in place to help cover your losses.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
The Circumstances Required for Lyft to Cover the Costs
Lyft provides all drivers with the requirement to maintain liability insurance. However, they also have a $1 million policy in place to help minimize financial losses from that driver. The key here is that drivers must be engaged in the act of providing service in order for that $1 million of liability coverage to apply in your case, including the following rules:
- The driver must be logged into the Lyft app and be waiting for a driver to request a ride
- The driver is also covered after they accept the ride request and are driving to pick up the passenger
- The driver is also covered when they are in the actual process of transporting the rider to the next locations
As long as the accident that happens to you occurs during any of these situations, then you have the right to seek compensation for your losses from Lyft’s liability insurance. Keep in mind that there are still restrictions to you, and you need to prove that the Lyft driver was responsible. This is why having a highly skilled rideshare accident attorney is so critical.
Someone Else May Be Responsible for Your Lyft Accident
If you are in a car accident for which the Lyft driver is responsible, the above likely applies to your situation. However, there are times when the Lyft driver may not be directly responsible for what has occurred, and in that case, your ability to obtain compensation from Lyft or the driver is limited. Consider some scenarios when other drivers may be responsible:
- Another vehicle collides with the Lyft vehicle due to their reckless driving
- The vehicle breaks down, causing an accident, because of the failure of the repair technician to do their job
- The trucking company that employed the truck that hit you pushed the driver to work beyond their allowable time, causing the accident
- The vehicle manufacturer’s failure in some way led to the losses you have
- A person in another vehicle intentionally struck the Lyft vehicle
To help you determine who is at fault and how to get compensation for your losses, our rideshare accident attorneys will gather all evidence in your case and work to better understand what occurred and why. This is not a simple process, but you can expect us to work hard to prove your right to compensation. Using the police report, witness statements, evidence from the scene, and even accident recreation software, we can develop a better understanding of what occurred, why, and who is responsible.
We know how to get our clients the results they need in the toughest legal arenas.
What Type of Accidents do Lyft Drivers Cause?
Like any other driver on the road, a Lyft driver can cause an accident through negligence in multiple ways. One of the tasks we will take is to try to determine what was occurring just before the incident took place to determine what the outcome was and why. Consider some of the most common reasons for Lyft accidents caused by the driver:
- Distracted driving: This could include eating, talking, texting, or using the navigation apps
- Poor road conditions: This, coupled with driver inexperience, puts a lot of people at risk for injury each year
- Reckless driving: This may include speeding, running a red light, missing a stop sign, or improper turn signal use, for example
- Intoxication: That could include intoxication from alcohol or drugs, including both illicit forms and prescription medications
- Poor road maintenance: Potholes (especially those that the city is aware of) could also be the cause
Any of these situations could be the reason why you have suffered losses due to a vehicle accident with a Lyft driver. Our attorneys are ready to help you pursue fair compensation for your losses. To do that, we encourage you to reach out to us for immediate help and avoid filing a claim for compensation without an attorney by your side.
You will always work directly with your attorney throughout your case.
Get a Free Consultation from Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys in Citrus Heights
Contact White Law PLLC now to discuss your case with an experienced rideshare attorney, and let us go to work determining who is at fault for your losses. You may be able to sue Lyft if your driver is in an accident that leaves you with substantial injuries, medical debt, and other losses when that driver is negligent, and Lyft could have prevented the outcome. To find out how that applies to your situation, call White Law PLLC now to schedule a free consultation so you can get answers.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.