Dealing with any serious injury is difficult enough without having to also address complex legal issues alone. For those recovering from neck damage suffered in an accident, added challenges like medical costs and lost income only prolong recovery.
The catastrophic injury lawyers of White Law PLLC in Michigan are dedicated to guiding you through the legal process. Our attorneys have extensive experience assisting those hurt through no fault of their own.
Whether due to a motor vehicle collision, workplace incident or defective product, we aim to ensure clients receive both proper care and maximum compensation. Our Michigan neck injury lawyers will aggressively pursue justice on your behalf.
The Severe Nature of Neck Injuries
Neck injuries that we often see after accidents include:
- Spinal cord injury: Partial or complete paralysis and loss of function below the site of injury due to damage to the spinal cord. This can result in quadriplegia or paraplegia.
- Neck injury accompanied by traumatic brain injury: A neck injury along with concussion or penetrating head wound causes additional long-term neurological impairments.
- Severe nerve damage: Injuries that penetrate or compress the spinal nerves emerging from the cervical vertebrae. This commonly causes paralysis, loss of sensation, and chronic pain syndromes.
- Multiple fractured vertebrae: Breaks of two or more bones in the neck that disrupt the normal structure and functioning of the cervical spine. Improper healing can result in deformity.
- Instability of the cervical spine: Damage or fracture to vertebrae that causes loss of alignment and ability to bear weight normally. This can lead to chronic pain and decreased mobility.
- Injuries requiring posterior spinal fusion surgery: Extensive bone and disc damage necessitating surgical fusion of vertebrae to stabilize the neck, often involving hardware implantation.
- Post-injury medical complications: Issues like infection, hardware failure, or chronic regional pain syndrome that arise after initial treatment for the neck trauma.
Catastrophic Neck Injuries
A catastrophic neck injury refers to severe trauma to the neck that results in grave, long-term consequences. A catastrophic neck injury leaves the victim with severe, permanent physical deficits or medical problems due to the severity of trauma to the cervical spine and associated nerves.
A neck injury lawyer in Michigan can evaluate the details of your claim to determine if your injuries can be declared catastrophic. This can make a substantial difference in how your case is handled and how high the financial stakes are.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
What Damages Are Recoverable in a Personal Injury Claim for a Neck Injury?
Some common types of damages that are included in settlement demands or presented at trial for neck injury cases include:
Past and Future Medical Expenses
This accounts for all medical costs incurred up to the settlement/trial date as well as anticipated future medical needs over the course of the victim’s lifetime. This can potentially be millions of dollars for severe injuries.
These may include equipment needed long-term such as a wheelchair, neck brace, prescription supplies, and potential costs for any anticipated future operations or treatments.
Lost Wages/Loss of Earning Capacity
For those unable to return to work or unable to work in the same capacity due to injury, this reflects earnings and benefits lost to date as well as projected losses into retirement.
Pain and Suffering
No amount of money can undo the trauma, but this attempts to provide compensation for physical and emotional hardship caused by the injury.
Loss of Normal Life
This compensates for inability to engage in activities or enjoy pleasures of daily life due to permanent disability or chronic pain.
Caregiving / Attendant Care
Ongoing assistance with daily living activities like dressing, bathing, cooking if the victim can no longer function independently.
Costs related to making a home handicap accessible or paying for medical transportation.
Your neck injury lawyer in Michigan will aggressively pursue all damages reasonably related to and resulting from the catastrophic nature of the neck injury inflicted.
We’re not just lawyers. We’re passionate advocates who will ensure that your voice is heard and your rights are protected.
Accidents and Negligence Often Cause Neck Injuries
Here are some common types of accidents that can lead to neck injury personal injury claims:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Such as rear-end collisions, head-on crashes, rollovers, and accidents involving large trucks or buses. Rapid deceleration/acceleration forces can severely strain the neck.
- Slip and fall accidents: Tripping or losing balance on spilled liquids/objects in stores, workplaces, or stairs can lead to neck injuries.
- Workplace injuries: Heavy lifting, falls from ladders or scaffolding, improper machine operation, and physical assaults may injure coworkers’ necks.
- Assault/violence: Acts like strangulation, blows to the head/neck in fights, domestic disputes, or physical attacks may cause neck damage.
- Motor vehicle-pedestrian accidents: Being struck by a vehicle as a pedestrian on roads or in parking lots often leads to more severe neck trauma.
- Defective products: Collars, helmets, furniture, and vehicle restraints that fail to protect the neck during incidents.
In these types of cases, a neck injury attorney in Michigan can investigate to pinpoint the exact cause of your injury and work to hold the negligent parties accountable for your medical expenses and losses.
We know how to get our clients the results they need in the toughest legal arenas.
Contact A Catastrophic Injury Law Firm For a Free Case Evaluation To Begin
If you or a loved one sustained a neck injury due to someone else’s negligence, please contact us. You do not have to navigate the aftermath without support. The personal injury lawyers of White Law PLLC are here to help in your efforts to heal and move forward.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.