Tractor trailers are an intimidating vehicle to drive in the proximity of in any situation. And getting into a crash with one can be traumatizing and leave a lasting effect on your life.
At White Law PLLC, our Detroit truck accident lawyers can help you understand the laws that apply to your case and determine what damages you’re eligible for. We’re dedicated to helping you recover as soon as possible, so contact our Detroit tractor trailer accident attorneys for more information.
What Injuries Can You Sustain in a Tractor Trailer Accident?
The injuries you suffer in an accident with a tractor-trailer in Detroit, MI, can be life-changing and require long-term care. Here are some of the most common injuries people suffer in tractor-trailer accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal injuries
- Burns and lacerations
- Accidental amputation
After suffering injuries, you should seek medical help immediately. Diagnosing your injuries is important so you know what treatment you need. Another reason to get medical care is it can help you recover more damages.
Once your injuries have been diagnosed, you can get a fuller picture of how much you’re eligible to recover for medical expenses or your lost income. Our tractor trailer accident lawyer in Detroit, MI, will use evidence like medical records and test results to prove you qualify for these damages.
Your Fight Is Our Fight
The Dangers of Tractor Trailers
One of the primary dangers of tractor-trailers is their size and weight. These massive vehicles tower over smaller passenger cars, putting drivers of smaller vehicles at a higher risk during a collision. The sheer force exerted by a tractor-trailer can cause devastating injuries and significant property damage.
In addition to their size, tractor-trailers have limited maneuverability. Sudden lane changes, turns, or quick stops can be challenging for these large vehicles. This limited maneuverability can lead to dangerous situations on the road, especially in congested traffic or adverse weather conditions.
Tractor trailers also require a significantly longer distance than smaller vehicles to come to a complete stop. This longer stopping distance, combined with inadequate following distances or failure to brake in time, can result in catastrophic rear-end collisions or underride accidents, where smaller vehicles become trapped under the trailer.
We’re not just lawyers. We’re passionate advocates who will ensure that your voice is heard and your rights are protected.
How Much Time Do You Have to File After a Detroit Tractor Trailer Accident?
Michigan’s statute of limitations applies to all auto accidents, including tractor-trailers. And the statute of limitations states that after an accident, you have three years from the accident date to file your claim. However, in some cases, the accident details could cause you to have a different deadline.
Regardless of your situation, a tractor-trailer accident attorney in Detroit, MI, can help you file your claim on time so you can increase the settlement amount you could receive.
We understand that you may be going through a difficult situation and we are ready to help however we can.
What Losses Can a Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer in Detroit, MI, Help You Recover?
Our lawyers can help you identify the damages you’re eligible to recover and evaluate them to determine the amount you’ll recover. You can recover economic and non-economic damages for your injuries and losses.
Economic Damages We Can Help You Recover
Tractor-trailer accidents can also result in significant financial hardships for you and your family. Economic damages aim to compensate for tangible losses that can be quantified and directly attributed to the accident. Here are examples of economic damages:
- Medical expenses: Reimbursement for all current and future medical costs, including hospitalization, surgeries, medications, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and assistive devices.
- Lost wages: Compensation for the income you lost due to the inability to work during recovery or permanent disability caused by the accident.
- Loss of earning capacity: These damages are awarded when your ability to earn a living is permanently diminished due to the injuries you sustained in the tractor-trailer accident.
- Property damage: Reimbursement for repairing or replacing damaged or destroyed personal property, such as vehicles or other possessions affected by the accident.
- Rehabilitation and assistive devices: Compensation for the costs associated with physical or occupational therapy and the purchase or rental of assistive devices or modifications to accommodate disabilities.
- Home modifications: These damages are awarded for necessary modifications to your home to accommodate their injuries and improve accessibility.
- Funeral and burial expenses: Compensation for funeral services, burial or cremation, and related expenses in the event of a wrongful death caused by the tractor-trailer accident.
Non-Economic Damages You Can Collect After a Detroit Tractor Trailer Accident
When it comes to tractor-trailer accidents, the consequences extend beyond the physical injuries and property damage. Non-economic damages recognize the emotional and psychological toll such accidents can have on you.
These damages aim to provide compensation for intangible losses. Here are some examples of non-economic damages our team at White Law PLLC can recover for you:
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional distress you experienced due to the accident and injuries sustained.
- Emotional distress: Reimbursement for the psychological impact, including anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other mental health conditions caused by the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: Compensation for the inability to engage in activities, hobbies, or relationships that previously brought you joy and fulfillment due to accident-related injuries.
- Loss of consortium: These damages are awarded to a spouse or family member for the loss of companionship, affection, and support resulting from your loved one’s injuries or death.
- Loss of reputation: These damages are awarded when an accident harms a person’s reputation or standing in the community, affecting personal and professional relationships.
You will always work directly with your attorney throughout your case.
Contact Us After You’re Hit By a Tractor Trailer in Detroit, MI
At White Law PLLC, our tractor-trailer accident attorney in Detroit, MI, understands the stress of going through the legal process when you’re injured. But that’s why we’re here to help.
Contact us for a free case consultation after a negligent driver and additional parties have injured you.
We’re Experienced. We Care.
We Exceed Client Expectations.