The last thing that anybody ever expects to experience is the untimely loss of a loved one. Unfortunately, there are times when the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of another person lead to the senseless loss of life. At White Law PLLC, we are here to help when you need a Lansing wrongful death attorney. Our compassionate and experienced team is ready to conduct a full investigation into your case so we can secure the closure and compensation your family deserves.
Why Choose White Law PLLC For Wrongful Death Claims in Lansing?
When you are going through something as traumatic and life-changing as losing a loved one, you need to work with an attorney you can trust both personally and professionally. The Lansing personal injury attorneys at White Law PLLC are here to help.
- Our team has more than six decades of combined legal experience helping clients and their families in Lansing and throughout Michigan.
- We use cutting-edge technology to assist us with our cases. This includes using devices such as iPads, iPhones, and computers as well as cloud services to keep our attorneys connected at all times.
- We build strong relationships with every client, and we make sure that every client has access to their attorney throughout the entirety of their case.
Lansing Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (517) 316-1195
Why Do You Need An Attorney For A Wrongful Death Case in Lansing?
A wrongful death case in Lansing can become incredibly challenging for the personal representative or family members of the deceased. Unfortunately, properly investigating these cases often requires more resources than are available to grieving family members. However, a Lansing wrongful death attorney will have the resources necessary to:
- Obtain all evidence needed to prove liability, including video and photo surveillance of the incident, statements from eyewitnesses, police or accident reports, internal company documents, and more.
- Hire expert witnesses who can analyze the case and provide witness testimony in a trial.
- Handle all communications with other parties involved to negotiate a fair settlement for family members.
- Fully prepare a case for trial if that is what it takes to secure maximum compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Lansing, call (517) 316-1195
How Do Lansing Wrongful Death Cases Arise?
Under Michigan Compiled Laws section 600.2922, we can see that a wrongful death case can arise anytime a death is “caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or fault of another.”
In Lansing, a wrongful death case can arise in a multitude of ways. At White Law PLLC, we regularly help family members who have lost loved ones due to the following:
- Car accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Workplace accidents
- Defective products
- Property owner negligence (premises liability)
- Police misconduct
This is not an all-inclusive list, and we encourage family members to speak to one of our Lansing wrongful death lawyers as soon as possible for a free consultation.
Who Can File A Lansing Wrongful Death Claim?
Michigan law specifically requires the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate to file a wrongful death claim. This personal representative is required to notify family members the claim has been made within 30 days. State law limits which family members can receive damages in these cases. This includes the following:
- A spouse and children
- Parents and grandparents
- Children of the deceased’s spouse
- Anyone who was left property in the deceased’s will
In the event none of these people are living, or if the deceased had no will, anyone who is allowed to inherit the deceased’s estate may recover the damages in a wrongful death claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Long Do You Have To File A Claim for Wrongful Deaths in Lansing, Michigan?
Each state sets a specific time limit for how long the personal representative of the deceased’s estate has to file a wrongful death claim. The statute of limitations for a Michigan wrongful death case is three years from the date of a person’s death. This means that the personal representative has a three-year window with which to file a claim, or they risk losing the ability to recover any compensation for the family members of the deceased.
What Kind Of Compensation Is Available For These Cases?
If you have lost a loved one caused by the negligent actions of another person, there may be various types of compensation available for your case. While each case varies, the wrongful death lawyers at White Law PLLC are regularly able to help families recover the following:
- Any lost wages or benefits the deceased would have provided in their lifetime
- Coverage of any pre-death medical bills
- Pain and suffering damages the deceased endured in their final moments
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship, care, and other intangible benefits family members enjoyed through their relationship with the deceased
- Pain in suffering damages endured by family members after their loss
- Possible punitive damages against the parties responsible
The total amount of compensation available for a Lansing wrongful death case will vary depending on specific factors related to each particular case. A skilled attorney at White Law PLLC is going to give you the best opportunity to obtain maximum compensation.
How Much Does A Lansing Welcome Death Attorney Cost?
At White Law PLLC, we recognize that the estate of the deceased and surviving family members may be in precarious financial situations. That is why our Lansing wrongful death attorneys take these cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients will pay no upfront or out-of-pocket costs related to the case. Our attorneys will only collect legal fees after we secure the compensation family members deserve through a favorable settlement or verdict.
Contact Our Lansing Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person, company, or entity, contact the team at White Law PLLC today. Our competent and compassionate team will conduct a full investigation into what happened to your loved one so we can secure the compensation and closure your family deserves.
When you need a Lansing wrongful death attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling us at (517) 316-1195.