How to Tell If You’re Facing Federal Criminal Charges

When a person commits a crime, it is often a violation of state law. Defendants are typically arrested by state law enforcement and their cases will be handled by state prosecutors in state court.

However, there are certain crimes involving federal or national issues, which can lead to federal charges. While there are fewer classes of federal crimes, a conviction from any of them is punishable by harsh mandatory minimum sentences such as a lengthy federal prison term.

The following are five ways you can tell if you’re facing federal criminal charges:

  1. You’re being investigated by federal law enforcement agencies – Since the local police handles most crimes, learning that your alleged crime is being handled by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) means you are under federal investigation.
  2. Your alleged crime involves crossing state lines – For example, if you are accused of trafficking drugs from one state to another, the federal government has jurisdiction over your case.
  3. Your alleged crime involves multiple states – For example, if you are accused of a mail fraud scheme where alleged victims live in multiple states, you will face federal charges.
  4. Your alleged crime occurs on federal property – Common examples include robbing a federal bank or committing a murder on a military base.
  5. Your alleged crime violated customs and immigration laws – Common examples include international human trafficking and producing child pornography.

No matter what type of federal charges you are up against, White Law PLLC can provide effective and personalized legal solutions to protect your rights, reputation, and freedom. With more than six decades of combined experience, our legal team has successfully represented clients in major criminal trials throughout Michigan.

If you have been charged with a federal crime in Okemos, contact us today at (517) 316-1195 and request a free case evaluation.