A criminal trial is a turning point or defining event in the life of the accused. While it is always the prosecution’s responsibility to prove their case in court beyond a reasonable doubt, if you represent yourself after being criminally charged, you may face an uphill battle to establish your innocence.
If you want to win your case, being strategic about how you respond and when to hire a criminal defense lawyer in Canton, Michigan is important. The legal team at White Law PLLC has a successful track record with felony and misdemeanor cases.
Facing criminal charges can be alienating, scary, and frustrating. Our role is to take the pain out of this process and protect your future to the fullest extent possible. We offer a free case consultation whenever you are ready to speak with a Canton criminal defense attorney.
When to Find a Criminal Lawyer to Represent You
Finding a successful criminal defense attorney in Canton, MI, is a crucial step in defending yourself in criminal court. A criminal litigator improves your chances of a better plea deal or having your charges dismissed or reduced. Legal representation is not required or always needed, but we evaluate the best time to get a criminal defense attorney.
Should I Hire a Lawyer if I Think I’m a Suspect?
If you believe that you are a suspect in a criminal investigation, it may be important to speak with a criminal defense attorney even if you have not been arrested or summoned. You may learn more about what to anticipate if you are charged and what you can do to prevent things from getting worse if you have a lawyer on your side from the beginning.
You Can Hire a Lawyer Even After Being Summoned
It is advisable to contact legal counsel as soon as possible if you have received a summons to appear at an arraignment or clerk magistrate’s hearing. Your attorney can accompany you to the hearing, provide explanations at each stage, and advise you on the most appropriate plea.
Seeking a Canton Criminal Defense Lawyer While In Custody
If you are detained and escorted to the police station, an attorney can help you understand what to anticipate as well as the allegations that have been brought against you. If you are questioned by the police, your attorney can also assist you in avoiding making remarks that could be used against you.
Canton Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (517) 316-1195
How to Fight Back Against Criminal Charges
If you have been accused of a crime, chances are, you’ve searched “how to win a criminal case” or “how to get a criminal charge dismissed.” All successful criminal cases have the following in common in order to win:
- Be consistent: Don’t waver in your side of the story; stand firm in pursuing the case from the position that the allegations aren’t indicative of your behavior. Being consistent helps build the defense that you are committed to one possible solution as opposed to considering multiple pleas.
- Solidify your support system: Being charged with a crime may come with the price of public speculation and losing people close to you. To show up confidently in every phase of your case, solidifying your circle of friends and family that will help you through this is a key component.
- Pick a resourceful law firm: This firm has various resources at its disposal, such as private investigators, medical experts, and up-to-date technology that assists us in solving your legal issues effectively and discreetly.
- Give thorough details to your attorney: Your case will involve personal information that you may be hesitant to disclose. To prevent your lawyer from being blindsided in court, be honest and thorough so that your claim won’t be discredited.
Conviction in a criminal court takes place before ever entering a courtroom. What you do, who you have around, and the legal counsel that you retain are all detrimental to the outcome of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a criminal defense lawyer serving Canton, call (517) 316-1195
Things to Avoid After Being Criminally Charged
Knowing what not to do after being accused of a crime is equally as important as knowing what to do to win your case. Regardless of whether you were falsely accused or not, certain actions can exacerbate your legal issues. If you were charged with a crime, don’t:
- Lose or get rid of any evidence
- Talk to the alleged victim, witnesses, or any related parties
- Communicate with law enforcement, investigators, or the prosecution without having your criminal defense attorney in Canton present
- Submit your evidence or DNA test voluntarily without speaking with a Canton criminal defense lawyer first
There is no guarantee that your charges will be reduced or dropped but they can be increased to multiple or harsher penalties if you fail to take immediate action in protecting yourself.
Need a Canton Criminal Defense Attorney to Fight Your Charges?
No matter the charge against you, White Law PLLC has the experience, knowledge, and ability to defend your future and will make every effort to secure the best result after your charges. For a free consultation, contact our Canton criminal defense lawyer Jamie White right away.